Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

I Wish I Was A Domestic Diva


As I gaze around my family room, I wish I was a domestic diva. I am no where near a domestic diva, in fact I think I am more of a domestic novice even though I've been married for nine years and have had kids for more than four and a half years.

I yearn to be an organized mom who has a place for everything--no papers stacked in corners and on counters, no toys strewn about, and no mail from last week still close to the front door. I wish I was one of those moms who have the urge to vacuum when a crumb hits the floor. I wish I didn't hate folding the laundry.

Now don't get me wrong, my house isn't one of those places you see on that Hoarders show. (Not yet anyway.) I try to keep up with it all and throw out the things we don't need. I don't have old food wrappers on the floor and stuffed animals stacked to the ceiling. Nonetheless, I could stay on top of the day to day cleaning and tidying more and save myself the anguish of having to try to "do it all" on my Friday day off. Instead of doing what a good housewife should, I always opt for things like taking the kids to lunch at McDonalds. day trips to Disneyland, and play time at the park. And take right now, for example, I'm watching a TiVo'ed episode of "the forgotten" and writing this piece...instead of sweeping and washing the kitchen floor. (And it needs it!)

One day, I hope the good wife fairy comes during my sleep and waves her magic Swiffer over my head. I want her to make me into one of those perfect housewives with the dust-free, handprint free, soap scum-less homes. Until then, I will strive to remain mediocre. I will continue my relentless Friday tidying sessions and always remain behind on my responsibilities. Oh, and I will continue to be thankful for my awesome, amazing and very helpful husband who pitches in and puts up with it all.

No comments: