Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Dog is Losing It


So our dog is losing it. We adopted him in 2002 and were told he was about four years old. He was probably more like eight, which means he's now about 16. He's still pretty spry but he's losing it. He constantly "asks" to be led in and out--within thirty seconds. It's like he forgets where he just was. His eye sight is poor, as is his hearing. He loses his way and can't find his way back to the house when he's outside at night. About six weeks ago, his legs went out and had to carried around. $500 later, he is fine and had some sort of "infection." I honestly don't know what was wrong with him. Now, he is urinating without even realizing it. He was standing next to me in our house peeing and not even realizing it. That happened twice in the last couple of days. I've been trying to keep him out more (he's an inside dog), except he barks when he's not in the house, which I'm sure my neighbors LOVE. Ugh. I'm so frustrated. Someone suggested that I get him doggy diapers, but seriously, with another baby one the way, do I need to be changing three sets of diapers?! What are my options for my poor pup?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I had some good advice, but I don't. We had a similar problem with our dog last year. It started with the hearing and terrible sight and then went to the peeing. When we took her in because she couldn't walk, we found out just how much was wrong with her. As it turned out there was a problem with her spine that made her pee so much (bc of the pain), it got better when she was all drugged up, but only then.
Diapers sound like a good short term solution, but like you I wouldn't want to have to change them plus 2 others. Good luck in whatever you decide!